SILVER COAST PORTUGAL
PROPERTY IN PORTUGAL and
PEACE OF MIND
|THE SILVER COAST - Places of Interest|
|Alphabetical listing of just a few of the places to visit within easy reach of Caldas da Rainha and Foz do Arelho, starting much nearer to home at the next town of Alcobaça.|
A provincial town situated in a valley where the rivers Alcoa and Baca join.
Alcobaça is famous for it's Cistercian abbey, one of the finest architectural monuments in Portugal, and one of the first examples of Gothic architecture in Europe. The town grew up around the abbey which was an important centre in mediaeval times. The surrounding countryside was cultivated by the monks for almost 700 years and it remains today one of the most fertile regions in the country.
Cistercian Monastery of Alcobaça. Begun in 1178, façade re modelled in the 17th and 18th centuries in baroque style. Gothic portal; tombs of King Pedro and D. Ines; mediaeval sculpture; water course diverted to run through the ancient kitchen. It is now a World Heritage site.
The town grew up around the Dominican monastery of Santa Maria de Vitoria, or Batalha. The monastery was built to fulfil a promise made by King Joao 1st who had prayed for victory over the Castillians at the battle of Aljubarrota in 1385.
The monastery is a majestic building classified as world heritage site by UNESCO.
Cascais is an old fishing village which developed into a town rapidly from the 19th century when the royal family chose it as their summer residence. Today it is the residential area for the Lisbon jet-set and a favourite night spot for young people.
Coimbra stands on the banks of the River Mondego. It is the traditional cultural centre of the country with one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in Europe. Here the fado, bohemian life, learning and tradition are maintained alongside the present day city which has retained it's fine monuments and architectural heritage.
The ancient Celtic settlement from which Coimbra took it's name, became a regional centre under the Romans. The remains at Conimbriga are probably the finest example of a complete Roman settlement in Europe.
Ericeira is a fishing port that has retained many of the turn-of-the-century characteristics which it had when the last king of Portugal sailed into exile from there in 1910 at the time of the founding of the republic. In or out of season it is a pleasure to sample the gastronomic delights of the restaurants overlooking the sea. Fresh fish, vegetables and fruit, as well as the savoury sausage baked in bread and a range of regional sweets.
Estoril is situated on the coast and protected by the Serra de Sintra. A number of former monarchs and pretenders in exile lived here: Carol of Rumania, Umberto of Saboia, Juan de Bourbon (the father of Juan Carlos of Spain), Edward the VII the King who abdicated the throne of England to marry an American Mrs. Simpson, made his home near here in the Second World War. It is a popular residential area for the growing foreign community in Portugal. The Estoril Motor Cycle Grand Prix is held just outside the town which has a lively night life and casino.
The historic centre of Evora is a UNESCO world-heritage site. It was known by the Romans as Liberalitas Julia and vestiges of walls and rooms, and the monumental imperial temple, still remain from this period.
Evora was wrested from the Moors by Geraldo the fearless in 1166 and was one of the most dynamic cities in the Kingdom of Portugal during the Middle Ages. The court was resident here for long spells and Evora became the scene for many royal weddings.
Particularly thriving during the Avis dynasty (1385-1580), it was formerly a major centre for the humanities. The university was founded by Jesuits in 1551, and it was here that the great European Masters such as Clenardo passed on their teachings.
The roman temple, the cathedral, the variety of architectural styles (Gothic, Manueline, mannerist and baroque), the palaces squares and narrow streets all form part of this museum city.
Fatima is now one of the most important Marian shrines in the world. It was the birthplace of three young goat herders, Lucia, Francisco and Jacinta who became famous when they saw apparitions of Our Lady of Fatima from the 13th May to the 13th of October 1917. The town is approached through the Serra de Aire, a national park of holm oaks, olive trees and pines. There are pilgrimages every 13th of the month, especially in May and October. There is a wax museum which illustrates the apparitions of 1917.
Loures is just to the north of Lisbon in a country area where small farmers of Arab origin grew fresh green vegetables. For many centuries it was a summer residence for wealthy Lisbon families. The town was the first to proclaim the founding of the Republic. It is proud of the lovely Palacio do Correio-Mor, one of the finest pieces of Architecture on the outskirts of Lisbon.
Mafra consists of two areas. The old town which grew up around a castle, the remains of which is almost lost amongst the houses. The 18th century part is relatively more recent. Developed in the shadow of the majestic monastery constructed by King Joao V.
It was built with gold from Brazil and in fulfillment of a promise made for the birth of an heir to the throne. Thousand of men from all over the country were used to carry the necessary stone.
This impressive building, monastery, basilica, and palace has fine views from the dome and small towers overlooking the game preserve and park. The town is well known for it's Sunday carillon concerts and traditional cakes.
Obidos is a medieval walled town which enjoys a magnificent present-day state of repair as a result of its status as the traditional gift from Portuguese kings to their wives. (It is only five kilometers from Caldas da Rainha.) The town is carefully preserved inside the walls of it's castle. It still retains it's cobbled narrow streets of brilliant white houses with flowers hanging from the window boxes. The painter Josefa de Obidos lived and worked here. The whole town is classified as a National Monument.
One of the most important fishing ports in the country on the Cabo Carvoeiro.
Peniche stands on a small peninsula forming two bays. The fort there served as a political prison during the Fascist Salazar regime and the municipal museum there records this era.
Nearby is the uninhabited archipelago of the Berlengas islands. An important nature reserve which can be reached by boat when the sea is calm.
In the 17th century Queluz was a small hamlet with one or two country houses of note. One of these, which led to it's development, was built by the future King Pedro III. A royal residence from 1794. The various wings of the building are surrounded by gardens in the rococo style. A pleasing combination which makes this one of the most charming of Portuguese palaces. It is now open as a museum and theatrical performances are held there as well as riding displays of Alta Escola Portuguesa. The palace is also used as an official residence for State Visits.
Situated on a slope on the north bank of the River Tagus, Santarem is the centre of the rich agricultural plains of the Ribatejo where mounted herdsmen still drive the black fighting bulls to pasture. S. Francisco convent 13th century Gothic, Gothic stone chair, Manueline cloister and arches. The Graca church is exuberantly Gothic in style and contains the tomb of Pedro Alvares Cabral, discoverer of Brazil.
Poetically described by Lord Byron as "this glorious Eden", Sintra is surrounded by greenery and is rich in different species of vegetation. A romantic town with a turn-of-the-century atmosphere, it's luxuriant vegetation hides numerous country houses and chalets which blend perfectly into the landscape.
It was the summer residence of Portuguese kings from the end of the 16th century. It was here that D. Ferdinand de Saxe Coburg built a revivalist palace (The Pena Palace) in the style of one of the castles of his cousin Ludwig II of Bavaria.
Nowadays it is a favourite spot for visitors who like to discover it on foot or in one of the horse-drawn carriages for hire in the main square of the town. The 15th century palace in the village is well worth seeing for the painted ceilings and the Moorish patio.
The simplicity of the Capuchos convent in the Sintra hills is well worth the drive out.
Tomar is virtually a living museum with a fascinating collection of historic monuments representing different periods of architecture from Roman to Baroque. One of the most outstanding examples is the Convent of Christ, an octagonal church which has been classified by UNESCO as being of "world interest". Today it is one of the symbols of the decorative style which emerged during the reign of King Manuel 1st and is known as "Manueline".
The convent was the headquarters of the Knights Templar and was closely linked to the Portuguese maritime discoveries through Infante D. Henrique who was Master of the Order.
Also there is the only surviving mediaeval Hebrew temple at the Synagogue/Abrao Zacuto and the Luso Hebraic Museum.
The town, on the left bank of the River Sisandro, is well known for the Lines of Torres Vedras which, in 1810, played a decisive role in the defence of Lisbon against Napoleonic troops under the command of Marchal Massena. Nearby is the gothic convent of Varatojo with 18th century additions. In the town is the Castle and Sta. Maria do Castelo Church, 12th to 16th century. The S. Quintinho church 2 km. from Sobral do Monte Agraco has a Manueline portal and 16th century paintings by Gregorio Lopes.
For more information on our Property Management services on Portugal's Silver Coast -
[Buying a Villa]
contact us now.
Please contact -
Contact Kevin, Toni or Richard Ennis at:
Phone: (+351) 262 90 91 61
Administração de Propriedades, LDA
Foz do Arelho
2504-908 Caldas da Rainha
[Renting a Villa]
[The Silver Coast]
[Property Management, Portugal]
[Silver Coast, Portugal]
[Villa Rental Praia del Rey]
[Luxury Villa and Apartment Rental]
[Sao Martinho do Porto]
Site design by Harleystreet.net